06 October 2008

Meatless Monday: Black Bean Soup w/ Hominy

Again with the soup! Did I mention how much I love soup? This version was inspired by a dish we tried in class. It's low-fat, healthy, and super quick to throw together!

Black Bean Soup w/ Hominy
1 14 oz can hominy
1 14 oz can black beans
1 14 oz can tomatoes
1 med onion chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
1/4 c. fresh cilantro (or 1 TBSP of the dry stuff)
1 bell pepper
2 TBSP olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
Heat oil in large pan. Add garlic, onion, and pepper. Cook until soft. Add tomatoes, beans, and hominy. Go ahead and throw in your cilantro now too if you're using dried. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 min. Add fresh cilantro if using. Salt and pepper to taste. Top with cheese if desired. Serve with corn bread for a hearty quick meal. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Crista said...

I'll have to try this! I LOVE black beans. I have a recipe for meatless southwestern egg rolls if you ever want it for meatless Mondays. They are AWESOME.