11 June 2009

Writer's Workshop: I've been blessed!

Choose a prompt, post it on your blog, then go sign Mr. Linky!!

The Prompts:

1.) Describe something someone has done to make you feel special.

2.)Name your current addiction...we can get through this together. It's milkshakes, and I always drink them late at night when I get off of work. I've gained 10ish pounds. I need an intervention.

3.) What have you been busy doing that's keeping you from updating your blog? How hard is it for you to get back into the swing of blogging when you take time off? School, stress, drama. It always takes me a while to get back into a groove. That's why I should plan posts in advance. You'd never even miss me!

4.) Write a letter. Would someone like one? Hmmm?

5.) Where would you like to be? At this moment, napping. In general, I'm looking forward, albeit nervously, to my Australia trip at the end of next month.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
I did not really grow up in a stable household. Luckily, God sent many special people to bless me in my childhood (and even now!). I've had many special teachers. I'll tell you about a few.


Mrs. Storms was my first grade teacher. She had a special knack for making all of the children in her class feel special and loved. She had a large Christmas tree in her room. Every year, she would crochet ornaments for Christmas. She made two with each student's picture -- one as a gift for home and one for her tree. Her tree was filled with the faces of every child she taught throughout the years.

Mr. Wallen I had two years, for both fourth and fifth grade. Our school offered enrichment programs in the summers. Our family couldn't afford them. Mr. Wallen paid for these programs for me to attend as well as some field trips. I didn't even realize he took care of most of it at the time. Others we'd tried for pie. He and the other teachers endured some awful pie from me without complaint. I was never ever singled out or made to feel ashamed, just truly blessed.

Mr. Quinn helped me to reach incredible heights in Algebra. He is brilliant, patient, and kind. With his help, I attended a math and science camp hosted for the top students in the state. He enlisted the help of another teacher to ensure another student and I could attend the camp. He always had time to play golf in the school yard, and never got too nervous when I didn't hold a club tight enough.

I've truly been blessed!
------------------------------------------------------------------------

For more Writer's Workshop visit Mama's Losin It!

2 comments:

Roxane said...

Wow, your post was so touching! I think that sometimes we take teachers for granted and we forget that they leave such a great impression on children. Thank you for sharing :)

Musings of the Mrs. said...

Its amazing how much teachers touch our lives, and how we remember them all these years later.